The architectural ensemble of the eighteenth century
Stanislas "the Benefactor" was a visionary and humanist who left a lasting impression on the
When he arrived in the ducal city, it was divided into two areas, separated by ramparts: the medieval
Having chosen the esplanade dividing the two towns as the site for a royal square in the classic and rococo style, Stanislas entrusted his architect, Emmanuel Héré, with a double challenge. Not only did Héré have the task of creating a backdrop for a statue of Louis XV, King of France (and Stanislas's son-in-law), he also had to bring together the two towns as one.
Works began on 18 March 1752. The new square comprised a new Town Hall, to the south, bordered to the east and west by four pavilions of the same height. Opposite, Héré built lower, single-storey buildings to accommodate the cannons on the ramparts.
A paved avenue leads towards the Arc de Triomphe, today known as Arc Héré in homage to the architect, and then on to Place de la Carrière. Formerly the Place de la Renaissance, a popular stage for jousts, its façades were reworked entirely to achieve architectural unity. At the end, mirroring the Town Hall, is the
The third square in the ensemble is Place d'Alliance. This is a more intimate space, surrounded by a ring of trees housing at their centre a fountain celebrating the alliance between
The three squares have been listed as UNESCO World Heritage sites since 1983.